Dr Connell provides Invisalign treatments in Brookfield and Oak Creek Wi and strives to help you maintain your smile after your treatment.It is very important that you continue to take care of your teeth after your Invisalign Treatment. After your finished wearing Invisalign your should remember to:
Wear Your Retainer:You will probably be required to wear a retainer after your Invisalign Treatment, to prevent your teeth from moving back into their original positions.
Brush and FlossYou have a straight smile, lets make sure it is bright and healthy too. You should remember to continue to regularly brush and floss your teeth for good oral health.
Avoid Hard or Tough to Chew FoodsAvoiding foods that are difficult to chew is recommended, especially since your teeth can be more sensitive during this time.
- Remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your orthodontist or family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This helps prevent cavities!
- If you take out your retainer to eat, make sure you brush your teeth, floss, and remember to keep it safe in its container so that it does not get lost or broken.
- Keep your retainer clean, too, by brushing it gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. You may also soak it in denture cleaner as instructed by your orthodontist. Don't put your retainer in boiling water or in the dishwasher.
- During your treatment, try to avoid foods with a lot of sugar, which increases the amount of bacteria that grows in your mouth, causing more plaque and possibly cavities.
- Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy sweets), hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes), or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, taffy).
- Make sure to schedule your routine checkups with your family dentist. It is recommended that you continue to visit the dentist every six months.
Cleaning Between Teeth with Braces
Having wires that connect your braces from tooth to tooth makes flossing a challenge. But it can be done. Using Oral-B Super Floss, a floss threader (to get under the wires) or another interdental cleaner will help. Just ask us during your appointment and we’ll be happy to recommend our favorites!